Sunday, September 6, 2009

Composting

So, now that I'm growing wheatgrass, I need to have a way to recycle all the root-riddled soil mats that are left over after the grass is harvested (not to mention that it's a good idea to composte all your kitchen scraps anyway). I've done a bit of research and decided that the cheap, easy-to-set-up "Soil Circle" is the system for me.

It took me just a half hour to set this thing up, ta-dah!

Instructions say to blend you sticky, moist kitchen scraps with some dry yard waste and a little composte (if you already have some) for optimal break down. It's a good idea to bag up several large black garbage bags of dried fall leaves to use for mixing throughout the year. That way everytime you toss in your kitchen scraps you have a couple handfuls of the necessary dry yard waste available. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment