Monday, June 28, 2010

The Great Tomato Project

Several months ago I planted my first tomato seeds. They grew indoors for about 2 months and became quite gangly looking...
So I transferred them to milk jugs and moved them out to my little greenhouse on the porch.

Several of them have grown big and strong enough to move to their permanent homes.

I heard that you can get free frosting buckets (empty, of course) from the bakery at any grocery store...Albertsons was thrilled to get these off their hands. Great for patio planting!
I can't wait until the whole porch is filled with my homegrown tomatoes. I'm daydreaming of lots of garden-fresh tomatoes and jars of homemade sauce!

It's been such a long cold spring that I thought I could start another set of tomato starts from seed. A good friend gave me a cute little packet of cherry tomato seeds.

I started by preparing the garden marker sticks.
All planted and ready to grow!

One week later and they're doing great! I probably should thin them out. :(
More tomato posts to come!

1 comment:

  1. How big are those frosting buckets exactly? I can't tell from the photo--could you put something next to it or stand next to it and have a photo taken? How many pounds does it hold? I was thinking they would be great for food storage. (Do their lids seal really tight, though?) Love you!

    ReplyDelete